Good Day, Springfield School District Families:
As we plan for the construction of our new Springfield High School, we realize there will be challenges to overcome to continue to provide quality educational and athletic experiences for our students and families.
First, please note that we are anticipating starting construction in September 2018. Knowing that this project (start to finish) is going to take four years, and if your child is currently in Grades 7 through 11, this information would be most impactful to your family.
In order to address the various questions and concerns, we would like to invite you to an informational meeting on May 8, 2018 at 7:00 pm in the SHS Auditorium. The purpose of the meeting will be to review the plan for Athletics, Graduation, and other educational experiences. Because we realize that there are some families that will not be able to attend, we have summarized the discussion points that will be addressed below:
1. High school football and field hockey practice schedules – Starting in August 2018, practices will move to Church Road Park. Transportation will be provided daily by the district.
2. Fall 2018 stadium events – The stadium will still be in use and available for games during the fall season of 2018. The stadium and bleachers will be demolished starting in December 2018.
3. Spring sports – Halderman Field, Central Field, and Church Road Park will be utilized. (Baseball will move to Church Road Park.) A current challenge is the location for track practices. Unfortunately, track meets will be away for the spring 2019 season.
4. Summer 2019 – The high school blue gym will be demolished and all inside athletic activities will be moved to the high school gold gym.
5. The new stadium – The stadium is projected to be completed by late fall of 2019 or early winter of 2020. Fall games (football) will play away from campus for one season. We are working with Cardinal O'Hara to try to help us host some "home" football games for 2019.
6. ETR football and track – ETR sports will practice at Sabold or Central Field. Transportation will be provided daily by the district. Fall 2018 games will still be held at the existing stadium. Spring and fall 2019 contests will play away.
Graduation or ETR 8th Grade Recognition:
1. Class of 2019 Graduation – Graduation for the class of 2019 will be held on June 14, 2019 at Cardinal O'Hara High School. (O'Hara will be available for post-commencement activities. We are working with Marple Township for permission to have fireworks at O'Hara's location.)
2. ETR 8th Grade Recognition – ETR 2019 recognition night might still be held at SHS auditorium. Obviously, there will be some impact on parking. The other option is to use Cardinal O'Hara and host the event the night before the 2019 high school graduation.
Clearly, we understand that some of these solutions are not as ideal as having our events on our campus. Likewise, we also realize the sacrifices some students will be making for the greater good during construction. We want to assure you that we will do everything possible to provide quality experiences for our students during this transitional time.
In addition, we want you to know that we truly value your feedback and ask that you utilize this link: https://www.ssdcougars.org/community/springfield-high-school-master-plan/submit-a-question to submit your questions; we will be sure to post those answers on our website in a timely fashion, and we are planning on keeping the link open during this time frame.
As always, we appreciate your support and attention in this matter.
Dr. Anthony Barber,