Education for Children & Youth Experiencing Homelessness (ECYEH)

200 South Rolling Road, Springfield, PA 19064

We work to reduce and remove educational barriers for youth experiencing homelessness in the Springfield/Morton communities. If you are:

  • a student living in emergency housing,
  • a student or family displaced from their housing,
  • a runaway,
  • a parent or guardian of a student lacking housing,
  • or someone working with homeless students and their families.

Then, the office of the Homeless Liaison for the Springfield School District will work with building personnel to help you obtain any assistance you might be eligible for, including educational resources and help with transportation.

about ECYEH

The information below explains how the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act removes educational barriers for students.

About McKinney-Vento

The McKinney–Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act guarantees a free and appropriate public education for all homeless children and youth. B.E.C. 42 U.S.C. 11431 outlines procedures for making school placement decisions, enrolling students, and determining responsibility.  

McKinney-Vento Act Basics At-a-Glance:

What is the definition of a “homeless youth” under McKinney-Vento?

“Homeless” is defined as “anyone lacking a fixed, adequate, regular nighttime residence.”

What situations fit this definition?

  • Staying in the home of other people due to unavailable housing, financial hardship, or similar circumstances
  • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks (in some instances – examples: leaking roof, no heat, etc.), public places, or campgrounds due to unavailable suitable housing options
  • Living in an emergency shelter or transitional housing
  • Unaccompanied (not living in direct care of legal parent or guardian) or runaway youth
  • Refugee and migrant youth

How does McKinney-Vento help these students?

The law makes sure that these students receive a free and suitable public education by removing barriers to school enrollment and full, basic, daily participation in school activities. This includes:

  • Immediate enrollment
  • Free and Reduced School Lunch
  • Help from school with any necessary enrollment documents
  • Help from school setting up transportation service (if the student qualifies)
  • Help from school with obtaining basic school supplies
  • Help from school with obtaining basic clothing needs
  • Help from school with basic high school graduation needs and expenses

Where can I find more information for Pennsylvania?

You can visit the PA Education for Children and Youth Experiencing Homelessness site.


The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act guarantees a free and appropriate public education for all homeless children and youth. Our programs and services are structured around providing that education.

Helpful Links & Resources